Sunday, January 31, 2010

Taming the mane

A month ago today I arrived in Rio, just in time to celebrate New Year's on the beach. (Yes, it was an amazing way to start 2010. I recommend that you all try it.) It was raining when I arrived, and as soon as I stepped outside my nicely straightened hair instantly turned into a gigantic lion's mane--not a pretty sight. Don't worry; I haven't been walking around like a freak this entire time. It's nowhere near straight, but I've managed to tame the mane a bit with the help of some styling products and Leo, a most fabulous hair stylist.

I arrived in Rio without much of a plan and highly anxious about finding a productive way to occupy my time here. Much like my hair, however, my emotions have settled down over the last few weeks and I finally feel that things are falling into place. I have a better idea of what I want out of this particular experience as well as heightened clarity about what I want for myself in the future. I am finishing my third article for the Rio Times and can now call myself a journalist. I'm exercising daily and feeling results. I've met some very worthwhile people. And I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel after what began as an unknown amount of time away from my partner. In other words, things are looking up.

Happy month-back-in-Rio to me! Now if I can only find some extremely well-paying freelance work so I can stay a while longer...

xoxo M.

No comments:

Post a Comment