Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Something about the fall

Early autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year, and New England in the fall is nothing less than magical. I don't know what it is, but something inside me comes alive with the transition from summer heat to cooler days. It has been years since I experienced the crisp, charged air and the vibrant colors of the changing leaves, and in the last week I've been quickly reminded just how much I love it here.

I've been anti-Garmin for years, as I think they make people lazy and contribute to the spoon-feeding, dumbing down of this country, but when I left for New Hampshire last week, my partner insisted on buying me a device to keep me from messing with maps and my phone while driving. (He knows I'm prone to multitasking...)

I have to admit, I am grateful to have had the little machine mapping the route for me. On Sunday, I left behind breathtaking Squam Lake and drove to Albany. Instead of taking 93 south to the Mass Pike, the safe and easy route I would have taken, the GPS took me through country roads across the rolling mountains of Vermont. I couldn't have planned a more beautiful transition back to the "real world". I do admit, however, that the drive was so pretty it was outright distracting. A slightly different incarnation of that problem of keeping my eyes on the road...

After spending the last couple days enjoying upstate New York with my dear Katie, I'm now heading south again. Hopefully, the strange, talking device can lead me on another majestic ride--and help me avoid New York traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment