Friday, September 24, 2010

Timing and gratitude



The image above was taken outside Paraty, Brazil. In only a few places have I experienced a comparable sense of peace. Photo by Eduardo Rubiano Moncada.

Over the last few weeks I've been soaking up an abundance of love and good energy that I've received both from old friends and new favorites that have come into my life recently. Your words of support and compassion have been genuinely nourishing and have guided me out of a rather bleak mindset, and for that I am truly grateful. I feel especially blessed to have had so many of you open your homes to me as I embrace my current life as a hobo. Thank you.

My newfound sense of "om" was tested on Tuesday, when I received a call telling me that a project I've been planning for, counting on and scheduling around has been postponed indefinitely. Instead of bursting into tears and panicking (what I would have done last month), I found myself strangely calm, trusting that this had happened for a reason. When an opportunity manifested itself the next day during a meeting about when and how to revive the project, I understood.

Yesterday I was once again baffled by the particular timing of the universe. I've been doing freelance work for Elizabeth for nearly a year now. From our first phone conversation I knew instantly that I liked her and it has been a pleasure to work with her on various projects, but yesterday was the first time we met in person. And we talked continuously for four hours. It was one of those connections that perhaps never would have occurred had we met at a different point in my life, but her insight is profound and precisely what I needed to hear in the moment. More importantly, I was prepared to receive her words and as a result, I left our meeting feeling grounded and brave.

I'm still in a state of awe regarding my tranquility about not knowing what's to come or where I'll be next week. It's unheard of for someone so typically controlling and anal-retentive about planning years in advance. But what the hell. As I told Elizabeth, for once I'm actually enjoying the moment instead of worrying about the future. And with my schedule now wide open in upcoming months, I'll likely be passing through your neighborhood soon. Just make sure you have some clean sheets on hand. And no flannel. Flannel sheets should be outlawed.

2 comments:

  1. You can come and stay with me anytime you want, for as long as you need! :)

    Maybe you can be in our area for Nov 13th, when (I think) we are thinking of having the baby shower. By then my belly should be massive, a sight worth seeing. :oD

    Adelante amiga, vas a lograr cualquier cosa que te propongas, ya verás!

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it goes without saying that you always have a place to stay in Chicago!

    :) Carrie

    ReplyDelete